RULES AND REGULATIONS
1. The CLANTON MUNICIPAL COURT requires pre‐registration for the NATIONAL SAFETY COUNCIL DEFENSIVE DRIVING COURSE. The court accepts applications until the 25th of each month. If your application is received after the 25th of the month, it will not be processed until the next scheduled DDC4 course has been completed.
2. The CLANTON MUNICIPAL COURT requires a $100.00 application and training fee for the NATIONAL SAFETY COUNCIL DEFENSIVE DRIVING COURSE. The $100.00 dollar fee includes a non‐refundable $25.00 application fee and a $75.00 training fee.
3. The CLANTON MUNICIPAL COURT accepts cash, debit or credit cards, certified checks, and money orders. The driving school office does not accept personal checks.
4. If an applicant applies for the National Safety Council Defensive Driving Course from any jurisdiction and is accepted and the applicant fails to successfully complete the course for any reason, the applicant forfeits 100% of the application and training fee.
5. If you are an applicant from another jurisdiction, skip ahead to Instruction #9.
6. If an application originates from the CLANTON MUNICIPAL COURT and the defendant does not appear on his/her scheduled training date, the “CONDITIONAL PLEA OF GUILT” within this application shall be entered as the final plea and the defendant will be responsible for all fines and costs.
7. An applicant may apply to attend the National Safety Council Driving School for any non‐mandatory traffic violation provided that the applicant meets the following requirements:
o is between the age of 16‐29 years old;
o has not previously participated in the National Safety Council Defensive Driving Course or equivalent program;
o has not been convicted on more than (3) traffic violations within a 3 year period;
o has not been convicted of a misdemeanor offense within the past 10 years;
o has not been convicted of any felony offense;
8. The following offenses are not eligible for Driving School without the authorization of the Judge: (Driving While License Suspended, Driving Without First Obtaining, Racing On The Highway, Driving Under The Influence, Leaving The Scene of An Accident, Reckless Driving, and No Proof of Insurance)
9. The National Safety Council Driving Course is usually scheduled at the CLANTON MUNICIPAL COURT on the first Monday of each month unless otherwise designated. The class begins promptly at 5:00 P.M. and concludes at 9:00 P.M. If you fail to arrive on time, you will not be admitted to the class. All applicants must present a photo identification prior to admittance to the course!
10. If an applicant is approved for the National Safety Council program, the applicant will be contacted via e‐mail and scheduled for the next training course. If the applicant does not have access to e‐mail, a phone notification will be made in lieu of the e‐mail notification.
11. If an applicant successfully completes the National Safety Council Defensive Driving Course the pending traffic charges will be dismissed against the defendant.
12. The CLANTON MUNICIPAL COURT reserves the right to promulgate rules and regulations governing the
operation of the National Safety Council’s Defensive Driving program. The rules and regulations are subject to change without notice as deemed necessary by the Judge, Prosecutor, or the Magistrate.
EXAMPLES: (Speeding, Noise Violation, Stop Sign, Red Light, Improper Lights, No Tag Lights, Improper Lights, Railroad Crossing)
13. The CITY OF CLANTON contracts with Flat Rate Processing to process credit card transaction which adds an additional $4.50 per application. Your total expense for this transaction will be reflected as $104.50.
THE APPLICATION AND TRAINING FEE MUST BE PAID IN FULL AT THE TIME OF THE APPLICATION. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE THE APPLICATION AND TRAINING FEE ON TRAFFIC COURT PLEA NIGHT, THE ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES OFFICE WILL OFFER A 14 DAY EXTENSION IN AN EFFORT TO ALLOW YOU TIME TO MAKE THE APPLICATION PAYMENT. IF YOU DO NOT MAKE PAYMENT WITHIN THE 14 DAY EXTENSION, YOU MUST RE‐APPEAR BEFORE THE JUDGE ON YOUR ASSIGNED COURT DATE. IF YOU FAIL TO APPEAR ON YOUR COURT DATE, AN ALIAS WARRANT WILL BE ISSUED FOR YOUR ARREST.